Wednesday, January 9, 2013

A Lovely Day in Jacksonville

The Cummer Museum of Art and Gardens
My husband and I are really enjoying exploring our new home town.  Yesterday was a trip to Jacksonville Beach with a walk on the pier and a phenomenal lunch at the 3rd Street Diner.  I'm still full and it has been over 24 hours since we were there.  I had a huge chicken souvlaki sandwich with fries that was so good. But, I didn't stop there; oh no, I had to have dessert.  They had one of those glass dessert towers with spinning shelves that featured all kinds of beautiful pies and cakes.  The chocolate cream pie was screaming my name and I couldn't go home without it.  Accented by a great cup of diner coffee, it was amazing!  

Today we paid a visit to the Cummer Museum of Art and Gardens along the banks of the St. Johns River.  What a great facility!  There was art and artifacts from ancient and medieval times all the way through to today. What I loved the most was the extensive collection of early Meissen porcelain.  I love all kinds of china and tea services.  This huge room filled with hand painted teapots, serving dishes and all manner of porcelain was by far my favorite.    There's nothing I like better than an afternoon tea!  

To top off the loveliness of the afternoon, there was an acre and a half of formal gardens to take in.  An Italian garden and an English garden sitting right along the river bank and are listed on the National Register of Historic Places.  Many famous landscape designers have had a part in making them so beautiful.

If you need a quiet and reflective moment away from the busyness of life, I highly recommend an afternoon at the Cummer Museum of Art and Gardens.  Ahhhh, I'm feeling pretty refreshed right now and ready to get started on another paper crafting project.

Have a wonderful and peaceful day!




1 comment: